This is a collab with other girls, each one has made a makeup look for their decade. Check the decades here (30s | 60s | 80s | 2000’s ). I did do a video but it was a total failure so instead you get something a little different!
We have to start with a bit of history. In the 70’s there were two main makeup trends: Natural & Colorful. It was the height of women’s independence so it was the start of experimentation.
- POPULAR COLORS were blues, greens and purples. Earthy tones were also popular. White, silver or a similar pale colour could be used under the eyebrow to add highlight.
- THE EYE CREASE, so definite in the ’60s, continued into the ’70s for some makeup looks, but was now blended, there were no hard edges or unblended lines (with the exception of punk). Many women didn’t use a crease, just one main colour all over the lids, with an optional lighter colour under the brow.
- EYELINER would not be worn by women who favoured a more natural look, otherwise liner could be worn on the upper and/or lower lids.
- MASCARA no longer came in a block, tubes were introduced to the market. Mascara was worn on top and bottom lashes.
- LIPS. Deep fruit colours like plums, mulberry and cranberry were popular in the early ’70s. Pastels, peaches and pinks were worn throughout the decade, part of the more natural look. Red lips also made a comeback and Lipsticks with gloss and sheen were fashionable.
- BLUSH was quite natural throughout the decade in both application and the colours used. From the mid-’70s onward, blusher also started to become more prominent, ending up as more defined stripes on each cheek.
- TAN was also in since the 1930’s. The sun damages started to be seen by scientists but people continued suntanning and bed tanning. Healthy tanning lotions and alternatives started appearing.
Now, what I did was an art tutorial of the same look I did on myself. I mixed the two trends of natural (by opting out of eyeliner) and colorful (by using greens).
Products you will need:
I used Maybelline The Rocket Mascara, Nyx Jumbo Eye Pencil in Milk and Nars Eyeshadow Primer. Two Sephora shadows in dark green and olive. A shiny berry lipstick from Sephora “No. 45 Rouge Shine”, Benefit’s Coralista as blush and Hoola as bronzer.
Start with a clean slate, conceal your dark circles and apply primer.
Apply the dark green eyeshadow all over the lid and take it up to the crease, with the light olive color you will blend that upwards. The 70’s liked colors above what we are used to. Then with a white eyeshadow, or like me, white jumbo pencil, apply it under your brow bone. Add mascara and you are done!
Tada~! Hope you enjoyed this little “makeup” tutorial. Tell me what you think and check out the other girls!